News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

your other (husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend) steampunk too?

Started by Silvia Lovett, April 11, 2008, 01:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvia Lovett

OKay i have a boyfriend and he's not steam punk at all and he finds it very weird i was just inerested to see how many steampunks have steampunk other or regular others.....
post a pic of them if you'd like ^.^
Broken hearts change the mind, notice that they'er killing mine.

Jake of All Trades

I have no romantic "other", though none of my non-forum platonic comrades are Steampunk in the least.  To this day, I've only met one person who has heard of Brass Goggles at all...  To tell you the truth, that's actually how I like it.  I grew up not knowing anyone who really shared my interests or had any knowledge in them, so I'm actually most comfortable playing the role of the "token nerd".  I suppose most of my comrades would also qualify as nerds in most people's books, though they are more of the Tolkien and/or tokin' variety ;)
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Silvia Lovett

i see i know i have a friend that is steam punk and he got me into it.... my boyfriend is not though he's super modern...

Rowan of Rin

Ah, Jake, it seems we share the same situation. I am very isolated in a steamy sense, (and also in a romantic sense, but that's not for here...) but yes, I like being different, and not in a crap emo/goth way, I don't try, I just am (are?). That is why when my friends are buying xbox games and fashionable clothes, I am at the flea markets, buying rusty watch parts and vacuum tubes, and being the happiest person ever :)
Still, always on the look-out for a better half who also 'Steams the steam', as it were...
I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: Rowan of Rin on April 11, 2008, 01:29:09 PM
but yes, I like being different, and not in a crap emo/goth way, I don't try, I just am (are?). That is why when my friends are buying xbox games and fashionable clothes, I am at the flea markets, buying rusty watch parts and vacuum tubes, and being the happiest person ever :)
Exactly! 
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Atterton

My mom also seem to prefer a lot of old things, though that is nothing to do with technology or science. She loves Carl Larsson paintings and all that romantic stuff. I don´t think she´d care about babbage engines.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Silvia Lovett

Lady Penelope

My husband's into steampunk, but my other husband isn't.  Oh wait, that's not what the question meant, is it?   ;)

OK, serious answer.  Yes, we're both interested in steampunk (and yes, he posts here too, and says it's all my fault he's got a new time-draining hobby, because I discovered steampunk first), although I suspect we're more interested in different aspects of it.  He's more of the hands-on tinkerer type than I am, although I appreciate looking at a good build.  I'm more of the "Ooh, that would make a cool costume!" type (which is ironic since I hate to sew... ;D ), and captivated more by the aesthetics than anything else.  Plus I'm a sucker for earlier historical periods in general, and the Victorian age had a certain...sincere, if occasionally naive, optimism?...to it.

Rowan of Rin

My question is, where do you find these people?! I would love to just be friends with someone who shared the same level of enthusiasm for Steampunk as myself, let alone have a relationship. Where do you hang around to pick up steamier types...
I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!

Silvia Lovett

if oyu go to yahoo or google and seach local area you'd be surpised what pulls up......my space too.

Tiny5th

my girlfriend is on here but has only posted a couple of times, she isnt really into it but i think she loves the fashion and dresses, which is great because i can make pretty clothes for her (lol cause i think people may raise an eyebrow if i made them for myself.)

im more of the gadget / tinkerer person though, but do get the sewing machine out every now and again.

my friend at work referrs me to anything steampunk he sees, and has offered to grab anything he sees in his local charity shop, but he isnt deeply into it himself, once again it seems to be....

I am the only steampunk in the village!

as we seem to have 1 person per town.
Inventing is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

Laverna Lovett~

My boyfriend likes old things, yet not the steampunk era. He's more into the 70's. Yes, he's a hippie.
However i think he could get into steampunk. He just wouldn't go around wearing top hats or brass goggles.

Clym Angus

The fine lady whom has chosen of her own free will to spend some hard earned time with me (god only knows why). Does have an interest in steampunkery yes, also biology, renewable energy, heathernism and many other interesting areas. At the end of the day, it is better to find someone with whom you find stillness and sanctury. No man or woman I know relishes coming home to a fight, however "Passionate" your relationship maybe.

Laverna Lovett~

ooo yes i agree. My boyfriend is the only sanctuary i have sometimes, and he's almost always waiting at home for me. both of us are too lazy and laid-back to fight. and when we do, it doesn't last long.

Lady Penelope

Quote from: Rowan of Rin on April 11, 2008, 03:10:53 PM
My question is, where do you find these people?! I would love to just be friends with someone who shared the same level of enthusiasm for Steampunk as myself, let alone have a relationship. Where do you hang around to pick up steamier types...

Well, 20+ years ago when I first met SteampunkBuilder, neither of us had a clue what steampunk was yet.  But we met in the SCA, so I already knew he was into medieval stuff.  And when I visited his apartment for the first time, my first glance around the place showed me an armor tree (with armor he'd constructed) just inside the entrance, a half-completed stained glass project on the kitchen counter, a hand-carved linoleum printing block and prints on a nearby table, and various other fascinating stuff.  "I have to marry this guy," I told myself.   I think we'd only met a month or two before that, and hadn't even been on our first date yet....    ;)

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

I'm quite certain that my Platonic Heterosexual Life-Partner (As they tell he and I. We see it as more of a 'mutually beneficial business arrangement of highly flexible morals and loyalty') has never heard of this Steampunk thing.

¬Sean Seldom Sentimental
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

Laverna Lovett~

Aww that's strangely romantic, lady penelope.  :)
Steampunk is uniting couples around the world!

My boyfriend has never heard of steampunk either. In fact, not many people have. I only found out about it through my friend. I've known him since we were 11, and i wasn't at all surprised to know he'd gotten into this wierd stuff called 'steampunk'...

Albrecht

My wife likes the aesthetics of steampunk but she's very goth, she knitted my pilot's scarf, though and chose patterns which look a bit like cogs.

chicar

I have a class comrade who dress the steampunk way but ignore the term. For the rest, my passion is nothing else than a rolling gag in my family, especially my brother and i.
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Silvia Lovett

very nice yes i am somewhat of a a gothsteampunk.....laverna knows what i mean right?

Atterton

Chicar: I must say, your english is improving. Very good.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Laverna Lovett~

yes, i know what you mean silvia. You're modern gothic, yet steampunkish, yet just plain weird.

Silvia Lovett

Laverna Lovett~

although i wouldn't say your boyfriend is modern or normal. He's definately more normal than you, but he's not exactly "the popular style". He might like steampunk. He liked Cody's outfit, after all.

Silvia Lovett

True....don't know what Kyle's opinon on steam punk would be i'll ask him today <3
I love him sooo much <3 *blush blush*