News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

TOP STEAMPUNK MOTION PICTURES

Started by Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught, June 06, 2008, 12:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hester

That reminds me, I've been meaning to see The Road to Wellville, the rather satirical representation of Dr. J.H. Kellogg, "surgeon, inventor, author, and crusader for biological liberty" (not to mention complete cornflake), and the sanitarium he ran at the turn of the century:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PY0RP0c2l0s

"Ta, darling!  I'll bring it back when I'm finished with it!
(If I'm not too drunk to remember where I got it.)

Prof_Auerbach

Quote from: Hester on June 07, 2008, 06:53:57 PM
That reminds me, I've been meaning to see The Road to Wellville, the rather satirical representation of Dr. J.H. Kellogg, "surgeon, inventor, author, and crusader for biological liberty" (not to mention complete cornflake), and the sanitarium he ran at the turn of the century:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PY0RP0c2l0s

A most delightful film, and chock full of ludicrous contraptions designed to promote health, especially through electroshock!
"...three stories down he plummeted, and landed on his head. He lay there in the sodden street and thought, 'how sad...I'm dead'.

Hester

Quote from: Prof_Auerbach on June 07, 2008, 08:06:50 PM
(Re: The Road to Wellville)

A most delightful film, and chock full of ludicrous contraptions designed to promote health, especially through electroshock!

I shall definitely have to see the film, then, Prof. Auerbach!

I'm particularly interested because there was actually a similar sanitarium in my neighbourhood:

This institution used the "Battle Creek" treatments and philosophy devised by Kellog:

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/161/2/174/F230

There was a wonderful article about the sanitorium in the newsletter of my local historical association a few years ago, complete with pictures of some of the apparatus used for "electro-therapy".  Alas, I cannot find my copy in my filing cabinet.  Drat!

In any case, the mansion on the hill that housed the sanitarium (appropriately enough on "Gothic" Avenue) has now been converted into luxury condos (however the restoration was done under the regulations of the Ontario Heritage Act, and the result is quite respectful to the Victorian origins of the building):

http://www.gothic-estates.com/overview.html

Sadly, the mineral baths were closed and drained to make way for the subway line in the 1960s.  Double drat!  I love bathing in mineral springs!

Byron Cogsmith

I stalk the night, and the night can't get a restraining order............

steamelf

It seems to me everyone missed Sleapy Hollow. Johnny Depp has an assortment of interesting gadgets.

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

OVERLOAD! Oh ye Chaps & Gals! My Dear Atair, as far as Norton's Orange tree in "Illusionist" [which has a technically flimsy, if chic, explanation at the end] trumphing over Telsas CLONING TRANSPORTER in "Prestige". My Ball Ligtning Generator says NAY! My Madam Hester, May I thank you for reminding me of the title of The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morell. I recall I saw it last Yule, rather late, after a lot of Claret & thought I had Dreamt it after reading Lovecraft's "Dream of Unknown Kadith". As for "20000 Leagues Under The Sea", I'm afraid my memory of the classic is blighted by the Michael Caine version. My appalling lack of taste actually thinks it was'nt bad. Cherry Rayne has a good point with "Bro of Wolf", but the magic braclet was not an inexhaustible bunker & the best friend had after all just attended Fight Club...

Prof. Ambrose T. Weller

Quote from: Hester on June 07, 2008, 10:32:40 AM
Last night, I watched a fabulous Australian animated short, called The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello.  The film uses "silhouette" animation to create a world of wrought-iron airships.

For those of you who've yet to see this you can watch what I belive to be the entire film <a href=

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9037500575588843788&q=The+Mysterious+Geographical+Explorations+of+Jasper+Morello&ei=7eEPSIKnCZqgrAKSnvm7BA> here</a>.

steamelf

Egad! How did I forget A Series of Unfortunate Events... how did everyone?

KhaiJBach

Quote from: Prof. Ambrose T. Weller on June 08, 2008, 12:41:26 AM
Quote from: Hester on June 07, 2008, 10:32:40 AM
Last night, I watched a fabulous Australian animated short, called The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello.  The film uses "silhouette" animation to create a world of wrought-iron airships.

For those of you who've yet to see this you can watch what I belive to be the entire film <a href=

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9037500575588843788&q=The+Mysterious+Geographical+Explorations+of+Jasper+Morello&ei=7eEPSIKnCZqgrAKSnvm7BA> here</a>.

seems there's 4

* The First Voyage - Jasper Morello and the Lost Airship
    * The Second Voyage - Jasper Morello and the Return of Claude Belgon
    * The Third Voyage - Jasper Morello and the Ghosts of Alto Mea
    * The Fourth Voyage - Jasper Morello and the Ebenezer of Gothia

we have a link to the Lost Airship....

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

Quote from: steamelf on June 08, 2008, 02:01:32 AM
Egad! How did I forget A Series of Unfortunate Events... how did everyone?
Mr J Carey tends to do that to people. Its a natural defense mechanisim.

Hester

Quote from: David Godfrey Esq. on June 07, 2008, 01:19:45 PM
"First Men in the Moon" (despite Tinkergirl's opinions), etc.

I just finished watching that on Turner Classic Movie channel tonight!

It was deliciously camp, veering from near slapstick to utter melodrama. 

The scenes set on earth in 1899 reminded me strongly of Chitty-chitty Bang-bang!   In one scene, the heroine is gardening in an improbable bright pink satin gown!

And you have to love the fact that, when she discovers that her fiance is going to take a trip to the moon, she packs him some essential supplies -- gin & bitters, an elephant gun, and a cage of chickens to lay fresh eggs!

Better yet, the "sphere", the anti-gravity spacecraft, is constructed using railway bumpers and roller blinds!  How DIY Steampunk is that?!

Cheery Rayne

I mentioned series of unfortunate events of page three. I liked the movie a lot but Jim Carrey can be a bit much.

Gideon

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it or not but Startdust touched on steampunk. There were lightning pirates in an airship. In the Tin Man (the sci fi miniseries) a lot of the background machinery rubbed up against steam punk. All my other good titled have been mentioned (loved The City of Lost Children).
"Just because a story didn't happen, doesn't mean it isn't true."
~Neil Gaiman

Nikola Tesla

A film I found extraordinarily bad from a steampunk perspective (as in, forgetting the steamy roots of the original story entirely) was the recent version of War of the Worlds.  The older versions are much better.

A movie that isn't much for plot or quality, but has some action in it that's reminiscent of SP, is 13 Ghosts.  It opens with a scene that looks straight out of a cheesy Lovecraft and it features the most fantastic glass house.  It'll never win any drama prizes, however; it's a cheap B quality horror flick.

Another cheapy horror flick that has some steampunky scenes in it is the recent version of The Fog.  Again, the film itself is really, really bad.  (You'll notice a pattern with my view of movies).  But the "flashback" scenes to a clipper ship from the 1880's crewed by, um, persons living with Hansen's Disease (and all in period clothing) are somewhat SPish.  If you rent, just skip through and look at those.
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Jack Elliot

Well...I don't know if it counts as "Steampunk" but I like the Agatha Christie movie adaptations of Evil Under the Sun, Orient Express, and Death on the Nile...particularly the versions with Peter Ustinov as Poirot. The period is a little late (1910's to 1920's ish) but it has steamships, trains, and that sort of gentlemanly, polite Victorian style society. I guess it counts as Late Victorian? ;)

Hester

Quote from: Jack Elliot on June 10, 2008, 02:22:48 AM
Well...I don't know if it counts as "Steampunk" but I like the Agatha Christie movie adaptations of Evil Under the Sun, Orient Express, and Death on the Nile...particularly the versions with Peter Ustinov as Poirot. The period is a little late (1910's to 1920's ish) but it has steamships, trains, and that sort of gentlemanly, polite Victorian style society. I guess it counts as Late Victorian? ;)

Flapper!Punk  ;)

Ella Kremper

Decopunk! I'm a massive Agatha Christie fan :)

I'm going to go for the Wallace and Gromit films :)

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Rowan of Rin

Quote from: Ella Kremper on June 10, 2008, 01:48:02 PM
I'm going to go for the Wallace and Gromit films :)
How could I forget! Especially the episodes A Close Shave, and the one where they go to the moon (my favourite by far!). No cheese Gromit!
I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!

Hester

Ella Kremper

My favourite has to be 'The Wrong Trousers'. Never has a train been used to greater effect :)

I see myself as decopunk stylistically, mainly because I like the transitionary period between steam and diesel but liking both. And I'm a 1920s fanatic :D

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Hester

My goodness, how can we all have omitted to mention The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Retro-SciFi aliens take over a Victorian mansion, complete with Sonic Transducer and Rayguns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdu7xoHU9DA

"Come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab!"

Cheery Rayne

Egads, you people have excellent taste. Poirot is wonderful and how could we have forgotten Rocky Horror. (Oh the shame!)

P.S.
Decopunk is a super term and I shall be stealing it too  : ;D

SalieriAAX

Quote from: Jack Elliot on June 10, 2008, 02:22:48 AM

Peter Ustinov was a great man, a great actor, and a totally terrible Poirot.  I am a huge fan of both Poirot and Peter Ustinov but the marriage of the two was made in very poor judgement.  David Suchet, on the other hand, is perfect.  The Ustinov:Suchet ratio is approximately equal to the Rutherford:Hickson ratio.

Speaking of Peter Ustinov, how could I have forgotten

One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing

Good old-fashioned English nannies steal a Diplodocus skeleton on the back of a steam lorry whilst on the run from a sinister chinese criminal organisation.

Edit: Here are the opening credits: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9tKsH8PHyog They don't do the action of the movie any justice but the theme tune is awesome!
None so knowing as he
At brewing a jorum of tea
Haha Haha
A pretty stiff jorum of tea

Cheery Rayne

What about Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines?

Duel! Duel!
Balloons and Blunderbusses ;)

Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines
They go uptiddilyupup
They go downtiddilydowndown
(everyone)

Hester

It's not a very good movie, but The Ice Pirates from 1984 has some slight Steampunky nuances.  For instance, Angelica Huston's shoulderpads seem to be made of brass!  ;D